Current Observations Home Current Observations Home Current Observations Home
 

Warren Buffet feels "lucky" to be robbed of his money?!?

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

An article caught my eye about Warren Buffet suing the IRS over its misinterpretation of the tax codes (surprise!). Buffet's company claims that the IRS wrongly assessed Berkshire Hathaway Inc. taxes on borrowed money that Berkshire then used to purchase stocks to better it's financial position. Anyway, the best part of the article was the last paragraph. It's a quote by Mr. Buffet that made me immediately think of another quote. But, first, Mr. Buffet:

"Writing checks to the IRS that include strings of zeros does not bother ... me," he said. "Berkshire as a corporation, and we as individuals have prospered in America as we would have in no other country. Indeed, if we lived in some other part of the world and completely escaped taxes, I'm sure we would be worse off financially and in many other ways as well. Overall, we feel extraordinarily lucky to have been dealt a hand in life that enables us to write large checks to the government."

That last sentence made me laugh. Hell, Mr. Buffet, if I oppressed you, would you write me large checks, too? I'll be right over! I said at the beginning that his words reminded me of another quote. Here it is (and its fitting, too):

A fool and his money are soon parted.
~Thomas Tusser

On a side note, I'm not saying that Berkshire should or should not pay taxes. If Berkshire is a "taxpayer", as defined in USC Title 26, then Berkshire is subject to all those laws applicable to "taxpayers". I say, "Good luck with that fight, there, Mr. Buffet... You're going to need it!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger |

Syndication

|
|

Who Links
Here