Current Observations Home Current Observations Home Current Observations Home
 

Dilbert Duality

Friday, September 09, 2005

Do you like to play that game where the challenge is to find the differences between two similar pictures? Well, I have one for you. Below are two Dilbert comics that ran on Tuesday, September 6, 2005.
The first version was published on the internet:
(Click image for larger version)
The second version was published in Snohomish County's The Herald (print copy; pg. B5):

(Click image for larger version)
I have to wonder why the readers of The Herald would be shielded from the first version of the Dilbert comic. Could it be that the paper was trying not to offend lawyers? Porpoises? Or, perhaps, the entry point of the porpoise in the first version violated some obscure state animal cruelty law, so the author had to remove it. Hmmm... Some points to ponder.
P.S. I personally found the first version extremely funny. When I read the comic's section of The Hearald and saw their version had been sanitized, I was outraged!
UPDATE: I received a response from Scott Adams, the author of Dilbert. Here's his explanation:
Hi,

Sometimes I provide two versions to newspapers and let them decide which one is right for their market.

Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger |

Syndication

|
|

Who Links
Here