Current Observations Home Current Observations Home Current Observations Home
 

Silver Certificates

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I almost forgot to tell you about this. Last Saturday, a customer came in to the store where I work and purchased some odds and ends. When he paid, he used these:
 
1935 Silver Certificate
 
1957 Silver Certificate
 
It's been a very long time since I've seen these certificates in real life. I figured that most were now held in private collections. What's funny is that if I had put these two One Dollar Silver Certificates in my cash drawer, they would have been worth more than all the other "money" in there. There's something to think about...
 
The certificates state, "This certifies that there is on deposit in the treasury of the United States of America one dollar in silver payable to the bearer on demand." Really? I kinda doubt it. The certificate should have also contained the following disclaimers: "Void where prohibited by law. Act now while supplies last."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have asked him where he lives so you could get the rest of them out of his mattress.

I mean, the possibility of picking one up and spending it without knowing what it is should be pretty good. But spending two at face value - yeah, he's sitting on loot from an old bank robbery, or something.

10:07 AM  
Blogger nobody said...

I would make the serial numbers unreadable on those images.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger |

Syndication

|
|

Who Links
Here