Current Observations Home Current Observations Home Current Observations Home
 

Socialized Money (Revisited)

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Back in November of last year, I began a project of posting a book that I found in the economics section at a local used-bookstore. Here's a refresher of that post:
The book was written and published locally (Seattle) in 1933. The title of the book is Socialized Money. Immediately, I started flipping through the pages because I had an idea of what this book would be about. I bought it, brought it home and devoured it. My wife asked me why I read the book with such enthusiasm. I told her it was like finding all the evidence of a crime, displayed neatly for everyone to see. This book was written in 1933, right after one of the worst depressions our country had ever seen. The author plots a course for our monetary system to take to become a socialized monetary system. In his writing, he never once paid any attention to what our constitution says about monetary policy, weights and measures, or taxation. What is even more interesting is to compare what he wrote over 70 years ago to what we now have. If you ever wanted an inside look as to why things are the way they are, read on.
I managed to get about seven chapters into the book before I had catastrophic scanner failure. I had to put the project on hold until I could get a new scanner. That day has finally come. I am going to change the format, though. In the previous version, I was scanning the book and then running the pages through an OCR program. I then formatted the output as closely as I could to the original in HTML format. This was extremely time consuming. Today, I unfortunately have neither the time nor the patience to continue this formatting. Instead, I've decided to just recompile the scanned images into a Word document which can be downloaded here. Note: the file is approximately seven to eight megs, so give her time if you're on dial-up. Also, I noticed that the pages take a few moments to "appear" when you're paging through the document. In other words, be patient.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shawn P. Wilbur said...

Thanks for doing this, Don. I just recently tracked down a library copy of this, but haven't had a chance to finish reading it. I'm pretty quick at the OCR/editing stuff, so if you have no objection, I could probably complete an html or full-text pdf of the book.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Don Bangert said...

I don't have any objections. Let me know when you've finished and I'll link to it.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger |

Syndication

|
|

Who Links
Here